Pariti is a venture-backed startup building the infrastructure for entrepreneurship in emerging markets. Pariti provides access to talent, capital, and resources to founders in emerging markets.
We are looking for a passionate and dynamic Senior Backend Engineer. You will play a critical role in the company at a time when we’re looking to grow significantly over the next year and beyond.
What you’ll be responsible for 📌
Pariti's technical platform provides tools for entrepreneurs, investors, and individual talent to connect and collaborate. We're now at an exciting time in our journey, moving from an MVP in Python/Django that has supported the early growth of the business, to a cloud first, serverless, event sourced architecture based on Typescript and gRPC.
You will be joining a small but highly capable remote first team consisting of members with experience both from large tech companies including Google, and past successful startups. You'll be expected to wear many hats and chip in where needed across the platform, backend, frontend, data integrations, and more. We'd like you to have previous experience working with a focus on backend systems and building APIs with all that this entails in terms of security, scalability, and reliability.
This is a unique opportunity to join a well funded startup and greenfield project with significant opportunities to put your own mark on things. We're looking for someone excited about the idea of working in a true collaborative environment and bring your whole self to what is already a fun and energetic place to be.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Building reliable backend services powering Pariti's platforms, using Typescript, serverless architecture, event sourcing, and gRPC
- Working closely with our data science team to implement algorithms that process rich data sets about startups
- Developing integrations with third party systems and supporting our data science team with data extracts and processing pipelines
- In collaboration with the wider team, develop APIs and UI platforms to support entrepreneurs, investors, talent, and Pariti's internal staff
- As needed during a period of transition, make updates to and port functionality from our MVP platform in Python/Django
Who will love this job 🥰
- Are exciting about the prospect of helping entrepreneurs on the African continent and beyond, and your own role of leveraging technology to help
- Love tech and staying up-to-date with the latest development, but see software as a way to solve real world problems, rather than the goal in itself
- Are ready to join a fast paced startup and continue to take on even bigger responsibilities as the team and company grows
What we look for 👀
- Previous experience of building APIs and backend systems, ideally using micro services or serverless architectures. Experience of gRPC and event sourcing is a big bonus but not a requirement
- You're comfortable working with modern Typescript and familiar with Python. Experience of Django is a bonus but not a requirement
- Our new platform is built on Typescript, Next.js/React, gRPC, Google Cloud Run, TypeORM, and event sourcing via Cloud Pub/Sub. Familiarity with one of more of these tools is a big advantage
- Good working knowledge of SQL, both from a service/ORM perspective and the ability to create custom views and tables for data analysis and reporting
- Solid understanding of best practices for backend service development including security, scalability, and reliability concerns
- Great communication skills, and ability to work closely with technical and non technical team members alike to solve real world problems
- Ability to work independently in a remote-first company with lots of ambiguity
What we offer 🤲🏾
- Competitive salary & equity package
- A chance to work with thousands of startups & global investors
- A remote-first environment
- An annual learning budget for you to grow
- Annual company retreats
- Medical benefits
What you may *not* love 😟
- We’re small, so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You’ll help create our company’s culture.
- We’re an early-stage startup. Priorities will shift and plans are made based on experiments. And we move really fast.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you will be told what to do every day.
Diversity Commitment: We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive team. We welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives and are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.